Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Making Play Dough

We started the school morning with a review of prepositions. I figured that it was time to get back to Easy Grammar 3/4 so I copied some pages out of the teacher's guide (it contains all the same pages Catherine's workbook does) and Catherine did a few pages. Math Mammoth was next and more multiplication which Catherine is really enjoying.

Tomorrow's history stuff includes making a cuneiform tablet so I'd planned to run out and buy some clay on the weekend. However, why not get squeeze two subjects out the craft? So we made Play Dough today. It was a whole lot quicker and easier then I'd thought it would be and we'll no doubt be whipping up regular batches now. Since we made more play dough then I needed for the next day the kids all grabbed some, stamped their hand prints in it and let me bake the results for an hour or so.

I found the recipe at Instructables.com and am I ever glad I did. Instructable is just the neatest site full of crafts and experiments with detailed instructions. It's worth spending an hour or so going through the site because you'll come up with the neatest things to do with your kids like make Rheopectic slime, marshmallow guns or gorgeous grow crystals.


Right now Harry's watching Zoom on PBS and Catherine's playing Jumpstart Artist. This is one of the software titles that she's been using off and on since she was 5 and it's charms haven't seemed to have worn off. If I were to recommend a core collection of educational software I think all homeschoolers should have (sounds like a future post!), Jumpstart Artist would be near the top of the list.

4 comments:

Cory said...

Thanks for the head's up...I've seen playdoh recipes before but wondered if they were as easy as advertised.

I think I have instructables in my faves already...I REALLY need to stop reading blogs and go through all my favorites and see what's what LOL.

kitten said...

That is so neat! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you can fill those latex gloves with plaster of paris, paint them (after removing the gloves), and give them away as really, really tacky gifts. :)

Dawn said...

Heh heh heh. I think you may have just solved my problem of what the kids should give to relatives for christmas this year...:)