Saturday, September 29, 2007

How to Make Yourself a Hero

I've been fading lately on the supper front. Bland pork chops and nuked potatoes have been the highlight, yes the highlight, of my weekly menu plans.

No wonder my son reacted to the call to supper tonight with screams of, "NO! NO! NO!"

Tonight I had a tiny bit more initiative than usual and searched 'chicken thighs' on Allrecipes.com and found Sunshine Chicken. It looked like a winner. It had a four star rating and a sauce with only four things, all of which I had on hand.

One hour later I pulled the most gorgeous chicken thighs I have ever baked from the oven. They smelled wonderful. I served them to my daughter.

"This is awesome!"

I served it to my husband.

"Dear, if you made this every night I would never complain."

I served it to my son.

"NO! NO! NO!"

Okay, so he was in bed late, up early and out digging holes in the yard for most of the afternoon. I could have served jelly beans and chocolate and gotten the same response.

But 2 out of 3! How fantastic is that? And the thighs were delicious.

It's pokey and old fashioned but man, sometimes there's nothing like the feeling one gets from having served a well recieved meal. If anyone else wants that warm glow of satisfaction, the feeling of being a housewife hero, try out the recipe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a hero with Chicken Kiev a few weeks ago, mmmmmmm, easy and yum.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what a home-cooked meal can do for your marriage!

C said...

I made some butt-whoopin' rigatoni last week - even the picky boy ate it! WHOO! HOOOO!