Sunday, September 9, 2007

Again With a Few SOTW Ideas

We've got a few more days with the early farmers of Story of the World in my house. I dug out a Time Life book on the subject that I want to read a bit of with Catherine and our World Map Skills book has some nice pages on the Stone Age and Primitive art.

My find of the week however was Mesopotamia in Colour. Yes, again with the colouring sheets but honestly, they're a great activity when your child is listening to the Story of the World audio book or to you reading it. They not only give some images that can be related to the book, they can also spark some questions and investigations that might otherwise not have come up. Anyhow, here's a sample;


Another idea was simply a question. Listening to a lecture series on Egyptian Pharaohs last week I learned that though the Pharaohs wore crowns, a crown has never been found in any dig, even in the intact tomb of Tutankhamen. The lecturer's guess was that the crown was passed from Pharaoh to Pharaoh. Catherine and I haven't really explored this but I think it might be interesting to ask a child who's into the SOTW Egyptian stuff why they thought a crown had never been found. Further, why, if the crown was indeed passed from Pharaoh to Pharaoh, what that said about the crown and the position of Pharaoh.

2 comments:

kitten said...

Thanks for the color pages. Even thou mine are 14, 12,&10 they still like to color while I read. It does really helps them listen better.

Dawn said...

Oh heck, I still love to colour at times! :) I'm not sure if you saw this post Kitten - http://daybydayhsing.blogspot.com/2007/08/colouring-pages.html- but I found some other coloring pages and the eyptian ones are fantastic.