Monday, August 25, 2008

History Doesn't Get Much Cooler Then this...

Want to learn some history while playing Civ III? Well, if you're American, you're out of luck but if you're a fellow Canuck there's the History Canada Game.

Someone had the insanely brilliant idea of writing a mod for Civ III that let the user play during the period in Canadian history known as the New France Period (1525 - 1763).

For thousands of years the aboriginals have taken meat from the forests, fish from the rivers and grain from the soil -- and settled inter-tribal disputes with sharpened flint. Now their way of life is about to be tested, for the year is 1525 and large boats of wood carrying a different, pale-skinned man have arrived off the eastern shores of a land which is surprisingly not India or China. The struggle for survival begins anew. Can the Europeans carve a niche for themselves in the ‘New World’? Will the aboriginal inhabitants prosper with the new opportunities or struggle with new challenges?


It's so neat! Not only does this game deal with my country but it also deals with my region of the country so that I'm familiar with the people (Mi'kmaq and Abenaki) and resources (cod) that are part of the game.

Now I just have to dig out my copy of Civ III and download the (free!!!) mod. I can't wait. I'm going to be Mi'kmaq and I am going to kick butt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohhhh, Hope just bought Civ IV a couple weekend's ago with her allowance... I hope it works with that!

Jacqueline said...

That sounds really neat! I've only ever heard of the civilization game, not actually seen or played it, but it sounds very interesting. This makes it sound even more interesting.

Luke Holzmann said...

My wife loves computer games and is always excited to learn of new mods that enhance the learning experience of games.

~Luke

l said...

That game sounds interesting...what age group would you say it's good for? Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Now that does sound cool. :)