Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Victory!

Every year around this time we get mice in our house. We have an older home out in the country and mice seem to go with the territory. So every year we set out traps (classic snap traps - I am not a catch-and-release type of woman), kill the buggers and then poke around trying to find the entry point. If we find one we seal it and then hold our breath until next fall. Or rather I hold my breath. My husband always seems to think we've solved the problem.

We haven't yet. The last few nights I've been either sleeping on the couch or lying awake in bed because it seems the wall just behind our bed has become a mouse highway. It's not constant but every once and awhile there's the scritching and scratching of little mice feet running behind the gyprock. Of course, my husband doesn't hear it because he can sleep through canon barrages and so he thinks I'm "hearing things," and he dismisses my concerns because he fixed the problem last fall. I insist we have mice. He insists I'm crazy.

Not anymore.

Today I opened a kitchen drawer and found the proof I needed. A tiny but immediately recognizable mouse poop. YES. Bless your bowels little mouse.

Victory, thy name is mouse poop.

Let the killing begin.


Excuse me. I have to do some disinfecting now.

7 comments:

molytail said...

Hmm. Is this where I should tell you our horror story of mites...the mites that came from the mice and left the kids and I scratching and itchy all the time for a year and a half....eh, maybe you don't want to know about that. :-P

Jacqueline said...

Oh my! This is hilarious! I thought you were going to tell us that the victory was that you had finally conquered the mouse battle, not that you were getting ready to battle again.

Anonymous said...

We have a pet mouse :-)

mary grace said...

We had mice once. Yick. I had to catch them on glue traps and drown them b/c dh wouldn't.

Heather said...

We haven't had a mouse problem since we've had cats. We've got two good mousers (and one useless blob of fur, but that's a different story). When we did have mice though, my weapon of choice was poison. We lived in a teeny tiny mobile home right after we were married where I could hear the mice scurrying around the vents at night (my husband said I was hearing things too). Dumped a bunch of poison right down in the vents, and never saw (or heard) a mouse again.

Good luck on your mouse-murder spree. :)

Autumn Leavz said...

Hi there! Thought I'd stop by and check out your blog!
Glad to see that I'm not the only one with the problem of unwanted fall visitors! Let the battle begin!

Dawn said...

Thanks! We got one last. Hopefully the hunt will be fruitfull again tonight. :D