Monday, September 15, 2008

About the Violin Lessons...I'm Worried

 My daughter has had two violin lessons and I'm already sweating it. Thing is, the teacher had her using her bow by the first lesson and had her trying to learn a piece on the second! I remember plucking strings for a long time as I learned to listen to notes and developed some dexterity with my fingers. I rather expected something the same here. Isn't playing an instrument a cumulative skill like math? You learn it layer by layer, building on what you know?

My daughter isn't even familiar with how the notes should sound, why the rush to have her playing a piece so quickly? I know there's a Christmas recital at the music studio - Maybe the teacher thinks I'm more focused on seeing my daughter play something then on her acquiring the proper foundation?

 I'm a little hesitant to talk to the teacher because I don't want to come off as the parent who had a few years of violin as a kid and so thinks she knows it all but I also don't want Catherine set up to fail because of frustration. Since how I'm perceived really isn't an issue of any importance I've only got one choice.

*sigh*

Next time I will do this properly. I will interview and ask for resumes. I will make sure we all feel comfortable with each other. It would have been easier in the long run.

4 comments:

molytail said...

I'm not musical at all - so take this with that in mind...

Maybe the instructor is thinking that it would be 'good' for Catherine to learn a song quickly so that she feels that 'sense of accomplishment' that comes from actually "playing a song" on an instrument, versus picking away and all that? Perhaps she'll go more into all the foundation stuff in the near future....

I really have little idea what I'm talking about though LOL ...just thinking - see, Cindy hasn't ever taken any formal music lessons (well, she's in voice now, but she's never taken any formal instrument lessons) ...but my cousin Norm plays guitar, has for..well, forever...and for a short time, Cindy wanted him to teach her how to play...they started with the basics - but Cindy, being the kid with an attention span of a grasshopper, was bored...so, he taught her a very simple part from a song and had her practice that, even though she didn't really understand WHAT she was doing...she did what he showed her, the way that he showed her - and boy, did she get excited then...because she "could play a song!!!" ( the !!! are there so you can read that in an 11 year old way LOL) ...

I know I've seen a lot of violin families kicking around WTM...you might maybe could ask there for people's opinions on this...

Me, the most I could do with a violin is make some wailing cat noises. No wait, that's how I sing. Same thing! :-P

molytail said...

oops, I forgot, she did take 3/4 of a year of celtic drumming...didn't really like it though.

She's singing in the youth band at our church now, started last night. :-)

Dawn said...

That's a good thought Molytail. It's not working for Catherine though...She's feeling swamped by this. Of course I remember feeling frustrated as a kid because I wanted to play a song!:D

I did take your advice and post to the WTM forums!

I should add that the teacher is really nice...If this IS an issue I'm pretty sure we can work it out.

Jacqueline said...

My first thought was to direct you to talk to a couple of people in the Canadian Home Educators Blog Carnival. Miranda in BC and Heather in ON both have children that are very much into violin. I believe Miranda was an instructor at one time.

The only formal lessons my DD has ever taken are the voice lessons she took last year and she's continuing with them this year but she's taught herself to play guitar really well, keyboard a bit, and now she's even working on violin. Just last week I could here Salt Water Joys coming from her violin in her room.