Monday, March 17, 2008

The Last Battle

*Spoiler Alert! If you aren't familiar with how the Narnia series ends and don't want to know then don't read any further!*

We finished the Narnia books tonight. We started The Last Battle last night, read half of it and couldn't stop tonight.

This was the first time I've ever seen a book make Catherine cry. Near the end when, bit by bit, Aslan is taking Narnia apart I glanced over at her and saw that her face was red and her chin was quivering just a bit. I put the book down and we hugged so that she could have a good cry before we continued.

I felt a bit like Lucy and the Pevensies in Prince Caspian when they first got back to Narnia and were remembering their time there before and how it felt to be back. Although The Magician's Nephew had drawn me in completely, the rest of the books had only half had me and I wasn't getting the same feeling I'd had as a child. But reading about the end of Narnia and holding Catherine while she mourned it...I was right back to the time when I was eight or nine and going through just the same feelings. Completely in love with Narnia (I'd forgotten how real and possible it had all felt when I was a child)and yet having to watch as it tumbled.

The next couple of chapters were magic for both of us. We went further up and further in and met favourite characters from past books. Catherine cheered when Reepicheep the mouse showed up and I grinned when Fledge the winged horse made his appearance. Then the end and Aslan told the children what Catherine had already guessed (and hear I had to pause so that I didn't start crying), that the children had died in the train accident and they were now with Aslan forever.

I envy Catherine because although she's had her first visit she hasn't yet gone alone and still has that ahead of her when she first picks the book up to read herself.

Now, I just have to wait until Harry's interested in the journey.


Note:I should say that the next book will like be The Golden Compass in audio format. :) Catherine listened to some of it before we started up with the Narnia books and she loved it.

Wouldn't it be funny to see Lewis' books and Pullman's trilogy being sold as a box set? It would have Pullman foaming at the mouth and Lewis spinning in his grave but still...:D

3 comments:

molytail said...

Ack, spoilers! ROFL :-P

Just teasing ;-)

It's wonderful that she enjoyed the series - even with that kind of sadness, actually...I should say 'especially with', because it means that she really got 'into' the story...know what I mean?

ps - I tagged you for '8 things' ...I hope you're not adverse to being tagged. :-)

molytail said...

hahaha. nice edit LOL *grin* :-P

Dawn said...

I thought I'd better! I didn't really think of all the people that hadn't read the books yet!

And I will take on your tag! :)