Friday, August 3, 2007

Homeschooling Harry

This year Harry officially enters Primary (What bluenosers call kindergarten) and I'm a little taken aback by how nervous I am.

When Catherine was Harry's age she was a completely different kind of learner. She was counting to 100, doing basic addition and subtraction, exploring fractions and symmetry. Harry is exploring Thomas the Tank Engine and can count to 10. You would think that with four years of homeschooling and unschooling behind me I wouldn't be worrying about this, right?

Ah well.

I have no formal plans for Harry. Catherine got 3 years of radical unschooling and I see no reason why Harry shouldn't get the same. I'll let him loose on Starfall, read lots of stories and play lots of games. I'll also be on the hunt for any of the above that relate to his interest in Thomas and trains.

No comments: