Tuesday, August 14, 2007

7 Wonders of the Ancient World

Catherine and I watched a couple of documentries on the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World last night. One was not too bad. It certainly gave a decent overview of the wonders and some insight into how they may have been built (I had no idea you can 'uncurl' ivory). The other one however was confused and boring and had a strange obsession with trying to shoehorn christian and jewish events into the narrative. It also used all the footage and commentary from the other production!

I found the production here. It mentions that Pierce Brosnan narrates and he did narrate the half-decent version we saw. I'm not sure if the same company produced the regrettable christian version or if it was re-narratted and re-edited by some group on the sly.

Regardless, the only reason we watched the christian one is that it came first and I thought the other documentary was on just one of the Wonders (Hanging Garden).

It's not that I don't like christian stuff. I'm a sucker for christian stuff when it's really about christianity. It's when it's these half-assed production that just want to through a christian veil over everything from the Wonders to shoe manufacturing that I get annoyed.

No comments: