Sunday, February 24, 2008

Changes, Again.

Catherine and I had another talk about how her homeschooling was going.

What she's comfortable with for daily work is grammar, ancient Greek and math practice. I knew she loved Winston Grammar but she's been a little less enthusiastic about Greek and math lately so that surprised me. She explained she's not always fond of the work in the Greek Hupogrammon but she does want to learn to read ancient Greek and realizes that's going to take a lot of work. It's somewhat the same case with the math, she's not keen on the work sometimes but understands the value.

Science, history, art, music and even some math however were things she wanted to eliminate from her schedule. Not because she didn't want to do them but because she felt she did much better with those subjects when she approached them on her own terms. This doesn't mean a curriculum-free approach to her though. She enjoys I-Science but would rather read the text on the couch with me, explore the workbooks at her leisure and be free from planned lessons several days a week.

Of course this means her daily blog (which has suffered fro a lack of posts lately due to internet problems and a run of the flu) will undergo a change. Probably to more of a journal of her work, something like what this blog was originally meant to be. I can't just delete it. I gave the address to my mother-in-law and she's expecting posts.

Just another post to show that even though our homeschooling family is 4 years into the journey we're still changing and tweaking and evolving. I suspect we'll still be doing that another decade from now.

1 comment:

molytail said...

I suspect we'll still be doing that another decade from now

And this is one of the wonderful things about homeschooling - being able to do those sorts of adjustments!