Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Canadian Health Care Rant

Today I went to the local hospital to have a renal ultrasound. I had that kidney stone in December so this is just to see if there are any more hiding out.

My appointment was for 1:30 pm. I arrived at about 1 pm, grabbed a number and sat down. I had only been there for a few minutes and had just begun to read a magazine when the woman at the desk called my number. Annoyed, I put down the magazine and went to the desk. She had the nerve to be polite as she quickly and efficiently took my information. She even smilled when she asked me to take a seat again. Ridiculous.

Just as a opened the magazine, out came the ultrasound guy. Damn him! He led me into the room. He politely and efficiently did the ultrasound and then let me leave. I walked out of the office never having had the chance to read even one article in that magazine. As I left the hospital I glanced up at a clock and noticed it was 1:10 pm. That's a full 20 minutes before my appointment was supposed to have begun!

And the worst of it? No one gave me even the smallest chance to fork over any payment!

Honestly, I can understand why some in the US are terrified of Universal Healthcare. Who on earth would want that kind of experience?

5 comments:

momofmhasr said...

Your too funny! I thought I would stop over and say hey!

Christina said...

too funny! I have worked in the US system and in the Canadian system. Our system for all its flaws is better and not getting the bill is only a part of it. One of the biggest things I have noticed when health care isn't a money making business the patient care is based on his/her needs and not the bottom line. ooops I'm beginning to rant and it isn't my blog, sorry.

molytail said...

ROFL

love it. *grin*

Heather said...

Wow you've really got it bad up there. The nerve of those people!

Welcome to Great Goblets! said...

Funny how when you just try to get a few minutes to unwind and sit quietly away from home - not even then can you get a free moment to yourself! ;)

Me thinks we could learn a little from our neighbors to the north! I had a quick office visit last week for my lovely yearly exam. I was in and out in 20 minutes flat - but darnit, a bill is on its way - that I can be sure of. **SIGH**