Friday, December 28, 2007

Ouch.

I took a tumble yesterday. I had to go out to let the dog in because the twit wound her chain around a tree. I looked out and saw that it didn't seem icy and so decided to go out in my slippers. But it wasn't the ice I should have been worried about, it was the frost on the deck. Just as I was about to go down the steps my feet slipped out from under me and I landed on my tailbone.

There is nothing like landing on your tailbone. It's one of those injuries where cartoon stars should appear over your head to show just how absolutely painful it is. I hobbled over to the dog, grabbed her and managed to get back in the house where I flopped on my stomach in bed for an hour. I took a couple of Ibuprofens and it finally started to calm down to something reasonable. For the rest of the day standing was tolerable, sitting was okay if I managed the right position but everything in between was horrible. Today it's about the same.

So I'll make a call to my doctor today. There's likely not much she can do but even a prescription for a good painkiller or instructions on how many ibuprofens are safe would be welcome. The worst of it though is how limiting it is. I've actually gotten into a cleaning routine the past couple of weeks and not being able to do all of it just about drove me crazy yesterday. I've stretched out a clothes hanger so I can grab laundry out of the washer or off the floor (bending over is out of the question) but I'll have to look for other creative solutions today.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Yeowtch! That's gotta be awful. I sure hope your doctor has some good advice. With past injuries, surgeries and the like, I've taken as much as 800mg of ibuprofen (with food, of course). I hope you feel better soon.

Frankie said...

I've taken the same amount of Ibu. as Heather with lots of pain.

Sending healing vibes your way! Sorry you're hurting.

Dawn said...

Thanks guys. The doctor said up to 2400 mgs a day was fine (she got me in today, bless her!) but taking 2 (400 mg) seems to be doing the trick. Not getting rid of the pain but making it more comfortable.

If it had to happen I'm glad it happened when it did. Just after Christmas and it should be clearing up just before my husband heads off for a course in Toronto for a couple of weeks.

Melchior del DariƩn said...

Glad to hear this is under control, now.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!