Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Advent, Day 18

Today I'm going to take you back. Here's Band Aid;



They all look so young. It's fun to think that then Bono was a tiny little fish amongst some huge superstars. Also, I never realized how gorgeous Jodi Watley was or how pretty Boy George was. And boy, I forgot how good big hair could look on some guys (Paul Young - yum).

Since Bob Geldof herded the British and Irish artists into doing such a fantastic job North America couldn't be left behind and so Michael Jackson and Lionel Ritchie wrote We Are The World and herded American artists into a studio to record it;



That video has so much of my childhood embedded in it. Huey Lewis, Cyndi Lauper, Kenny Rogers...Granted, I never knew who the guy with the fuzzy hair and weird strung-out voice was until I watched the video again recently. Oh. That's Bob Dylan. Okay. Sorry but at 12 the guy couldn't compete with Daryl Hall. And Harry Belafonte? Yum.

But why the heck is Dan Ackroyd listed in that group? By all rights he should have been in the next video...

Tears Are Not Enough written by super producer David Foster - which I can't embed, darn it. You'll have to click on the link and you should. I don't know if it got a lot of play in the US when it came out but it's a darn good song and you'll be amazed at the big names. I was. I sort of thought Canada was a bit dry on the world famous artists at that time but then I saw Joni Mitchell, Anne Murray, Oscar Peterson, John Candy, Neil Young, Geddy Lee, Bryan Adams...Okay yes, there's also Platinum Blonde and Loverboy but heck, they were fun too. There's also the owner of THE best rock voice EVER, Burton Cummings from The Guess Who (what a group - Randy Bachman of BTO came from it as well). You know I'm right. And a yum for him as well.

Hopefully this will spark some warm memories.

3 comments:

Andrea R said...

Yeah, I'm in a total time-warp here. :D

C said...

Geeeeeeeeeeez, think of all the ways we could have recycled ALL THAT HAIR!!

Dawn said...

No kidding. The hair in Duran Duran alone could have soaked up the Exxon Valdez spill!