Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Long Time, No Type

Next summer, around the end of July, please email me and let me know that, for the love of all that's fluffy, homeschooling in August is an insanely stupid idea.

There might be parts of the world where it's okay but here in Nova Scotia where no heat is ever a dry heat and the humidity can push an honest 30 degree (Celcius of course) day into pit-of-hell territory it's just dumb. Granted, I have a pretty new house with a nice, cool basement and yes, all the homeschool stuff has been moved down there but frankly it doesn't matter. When you're under enemy fire you just can't get anything done, even if you are safely tucked away in a bomb shelter.

And yes, if anyone from my favourite message board is reading this I am recycling metaphors from a post there but frankly, I'm too lazy to care. Now excuse me but since I typed this upstairs my fingers have melted into the keys on my laptop and I have to go sit in the freezer for a bit before they'll solidify and I can peel them out.

9 comments:

JJ Ross said...

HEat and humidity you say? Really, in August?

JJ, from down here in the Swamp along hurricane alley at the height of the season! ;-)

p.s. surely there is some local "festive beverage" you should be enjoying this time of year?

Dawn said...

"Heat and humidity you say? Really, in August?"

:) I know a few homeschoolers in Arizona who would brush off a complaint about an 85 degree day by telling me that they just start to take they're sweaters off at that temperature. So I had to make it clear my whine was valid. :D

And yup, the beer fridge is stocked. With Coors no less which probably means the gov't will show up and revoke my Canadian citizenship some day soon. But I can't help it. I want something that tastes beer-like rather then a real beer. ;)

Although today I did discover that cold coffee, milk, crushed ice and Bailey's make a great afternoon drink!

Molytail said...

I was talking to my mother back on the island and she had the same wonderful things to say about the weather down that way. *grin*

yofed said...

This heat would be normal for Ontario or Quebec, but we usually never get anything quite like this here! lol

And 42 degrees in the desert is not quite as painful as a humid 30 degrees... humidity just drags you down.... I've been in the middle east, and trust me, I liked their hot days WAY better! ;)

Melanie Dane Mom said...

Here in the middle of California in August, an 85degree day is considered freakishly cold but at least it isn't humid. My sweaty fingers are waving to yours and saying welcome back, we've missed you!

concernedCTparent said...

Dawn! You've been missed. Google says this is my 430th visit to your blog (can that be?) If so, please note that your typing with melting fingers must certainly be worth it.

Meanwhile, while I miss Tucson on these hot & humid East Coast summer days. Nevertheless, we've begun school and are finishing up our second week. I'm really, really mean that way ;)

So.... welcome back, kiddo. I hope it cools off some so I can arrange visit #431.

Lorraine M. said...

Wuss. 40 C./102 F. on my New Brunswick deck many times this past week, without counting humidity! I took pictures to prove it!

Yes, I died.

Debbie said...

I stumbled across your blog while I was searching for a secular science curriculum. I read the post on Singapore Math's Science. IS it still going well? I clicked the link but it looks like IScience is discontinued.

It's always great to find a fellow homeschooler's blog...especially one in Canada.

Lorraine M said...

I don't know what happened to the rest of my comment! I wanted to tell you about the fab Gila Heat Film for your windows, the one I bought keeps 75%, or something like that, of the sun's heat out. Lasts 7 to 10 years. I got me a whole bunch! I got platinum for the bedrooms, and light for the living area. That film, plus a hard working A/C saved me from heat stroke. It's at homedepot.ca, I'll email link to you.