Friday, January 29, 2010

Catherine was playing her violin today. I say playing rather then practicing intentionally because she was taking such joy in it.

She started by playing her favourite exam piece at a ridiculous speed for Harry and laughed at how the new tempo made some parts of it sound amazing and others fall apart. Her new piece was punctuated by comments like, "Wait a minute," and, "Oh! That's so cool!" as she read the music, noticed things she hadn't before and incorporated improvements. Never once did she glance at the clock and after a good 45 minutes put her violin away while chatting about how she loves a piece that ends on the same note it begins with.

Meanwhile, I'm just about ready to burst with pride and awe. 16 short months and she's made amazing progress. 16 long months in and she still loves her instrument and puts in practice sessions that far exceed her teacher's expectations. How cool is it that I get to witness an 11 year old pursue her passion?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your joy. :)

And, now I want to take up the violin.

Jacqueline said...

That is so cool!

Anonymous said...

amazing!

Anonymous said...

Made me smile :-) I love everything about what you just wrote. That is what it's all about, why we're home with them IMHO.

Lorraine